Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Free to Take Hold of Life

Galatians 5:1,13-14  For freedom Christ has set us free. Stand firm, therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.  For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for self-indulgence, but through love become slaves to one another. For the whole law is summed up in a single commandment, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
+++
The best explorations of freedom are in stories about children.  Kevin McAllister, the little boy in the movie Home Alone, is accidently left behind when his family leaves on a European vacation.  The family actually forgets to bring him along!  When Kevin wakes up the house is empty.  It takes him a little while to realize he is really and truly alone, and it’s an extraordinary realization.  There are no mean siblings to bother him, no mom or dad to tell him what to do or what not to do.  Complete freedom.  Sweet.  So what do you think Kevin does?  Anything he wants.
Do you blame him?  If I had been left to make all my own decisions when I was his age, I would not take a bath or brush my teeth; I would eat Lucky Charms for breakfast, lunch, and dinner; and I would jump on the bed until it broke.  Man, that would be living.
I would skip school.  I would watch the late, late movies on TV and oversleep in the morning.  I would play on the construction sites behind my house even though I had been told it was dangerous.  I wouldn’t care, because I was free to do all the things I wanted to do.
I might do a few other things, too.  I might walk through the grocery store candy display and just stuff handfuls in my pockets – because I want it.  And I might walk down the street and take that neighbor girl’s bike – because I like it.  And I would flat-out lie if anyone asked me whether I took it.  If I didn’t have anyone guiding me toward a better understanding of right and wrong, who knows what I might do?
If I were free to do whatever I wanted to do, it would be a mixed blessing.  I would end up getting myself in a lot of trouble.  When we talk about freedom, the word usually has an asterisk with all the conditions listed in the fine print.  This is what children learn eventually – to read the fine print.
We have been talking about freedom in Christ for the past few weeks, but it is still a difficult concept to get our heads around.  In many ways, freedom seems like sin, because we know that if we were really free to do whatever we felt like doing, it wouldn’t always be the stuff we ought to be doing.  Free to our own devices, we are sinners.
In many ways, Christian faith seems like the opposite of freedom – it seems like bondage.  The scriptures use the term yoked.  A yoke is a device that can be fitted around the neck of a work animal – an ox or a horse – and attached to a plow or a cart.  Usually, a team of two animals are yoked together.  It’s a means of chaining an animal to its work.  Now, I know it’s not abusive, but if the ox were given its freedom to do whatever it wanted to do, I doubt that it would willingly submit itself to the yoke. 
For us, the idea of submitting to a yoke seems nothing short of slavery.  It is reminiscent of prisoners in a chain gang.  Thus, Paul says to the Galatians, “Do not again submit to a yoke of slavery.”  It is for freedom that Christ has set you free.
Yet that very phrase – for freedom Christ has set you free – is troublesome to us, because we don’t really understand what it means.  What sort of freedom is this?
Our study of freedom, living free in Christ, has led us through some consideration of what it takes to attain this freedom.  The very first thing we acknowledged was this:  Knowing who is the Lord of our lives is essential to our freedom.  It goes back to Jesus’ words to his disciples, that those who lose their life for my sake will gain it.  It goes back even further, to the Shema, the words from Deuteronomy 6:  The Lord is our God, the Lord alone.  And you shall love the Lord with all your heart and soul and might. 
But it begins even earlier than that.  It begins in the garden, where Adam and Eve lived in the presence of the Lord but they failed to remember to whom their thanks were due.  All of human history there has been a yearning for reconciliation with God, and it is to be found in our submission.  We submit our lives to God and God’s law.
We acknowledge that allegiance to anything else –material things or nontangible things like the admiration of others – actually takes away our freedom.  We become chained to these things and our desires for more; we come to believe that we don’t have enough because there is always more for us to desire.  Our love of things will keep us always feeling poor, but letting go of the desires for things will free us to be rich in the things that matter.
The shift in allegiance will begin the work of transformation - transforming us into a new creation in Christ.  And the secret we discover is this:  we are truly free when we submit ourselves not only to God but to one another.
A Chinese Christian, Eric Law, tells a story about how his family – who was not at all rich in material things – lived in the full freedom of Christ as a matter of habit.  Each night the family would sit down to dinner – and there were usually guests: relatives, friends, people who worked with them.  They weren’t rich but they made it go around.  As the dishes were passed, of course no one would want to take the last piece – we all know how that is.  So inevitably, at the end of the meal there would be one piece of something left – meat if they were lucky – sitting on the platter in the center of the table.  After some silence, as they all looked at the food, one person would speak.
“Grandma, why don’t you take that last piece?  You’re the oldest; you should have it.”  And Grandma would say, “Oh no, I don’t need it.  I’ve been eating that stuff all my life.  The children should have it because they’re growing.”  And Grandma would look at the youngest child and say, “Why don’t you take it?”
And the youngest child, having been taught well, would say something like my stomach is too small, and turn to an older sibling and say, “You have an exam tomorrow, you should take it.”  Then this older child would play his part in the ritual and offer it to someone else who was more deserving.  This went on until everyone had offered it to someone else; everyone had affirmed another’s worthiness in the family.  And the last piece of food would still be sitting on the platter.  It would be put away to be made into something wonderful the next day.  It was a ritual that made this family appreciate the abundance they shared.[1]
This is what freedom in Christ is:  the freedom of submitting yourself not to a yoke of slavery – slavery to desires, slavery to fear about scarcity, slavery to self-interest – but rather submitting yourself to one another in love.
Paul cautions his Galatian readers not to be self-indulgent in their freedom.  He says, “Through love, become slaves to one another.”  Faith redefines freedom.  In Christian community, freedom has a new meaning, and is found in becoming yoked to one another.
That’s the thing to remember about a yoke; it’s a team thing.  Usually, a pair of animals is yoked together to perform a task.  Together they can pull more weight than they could separately. The well-fitted yoke binds them to one another with ease and makes their burden lighter, their work easier. 
Christ said, “Come to me all you who are heavy-laden.  For my yoke is easy, my burden light.”
And this, brothers and sisters, is the way to life.





[1] Eric Law, Holy Currencies:  Six Blessings for Sustainable Missional Ministries

No comments: