Sunday, January 21, 2018

Those Who Say Yes, Pt 2


If there was ever a case to be made for the importance of keeping things in context, I think these two itty-bitty readings do it. These are two little snippets of larger stories; reading them today makes me think of looking at a snapshot of a happy couple on their wedding day, walking out of the church in their fine clothes, with huge grins on their faces, to the joyful gathering of friends and family tossing rice or birdseed or rose petals at them – then saying, this is the story of a marriage.
No, it’s not. It is the start of a marriage. It is a moment in a marriage. But there is so much more, many more moments, and you and I know quite well that they won’t all be that happy.
This couple won’t have these ecstatic grins pasted on their faces for the next however-many years, til death do them part. There will be plenty of down times: moments when they hurt each other, moments when they fail each other, maybe abandon each other. They said yes – I do – to one another, but there will be plenty of moments over the years when they forget those promises they made.
These two little stories from scripture are like that. They give us that happy, blissful moment when these characters said yes. God said “Repent!” and the citizens of Ninevah turned around and said “Yes, Lord.” Jesus walking along the lakeshore called out to Simon and Andrew, James and John, “Come with me!” and they dropped their nets and followed him.
And it might be that your reaction on first hearing these little stories was surprise. That is a perfectly legitimate reaction. These are surprising responses to great demands from someone they don’t even know. What would make the people of Ninevah say yes to the voice of Jonah, a foreigner, a man who clearly doesn’t like them (you know if you read the rest of the story, anyway), bringing a message from a foreign God? Wouldn’t you think they would at least need more information?
What would make these Galilean fishers, family men, business men, say yes to this man from a neighboring village? What would make them drop their nets, leave their fathers, and not even look back? Wouldn’t you think they might want to discuss this first?
I mean, it does happen this way sometimes, that someone says yes to God the first time they hear God calling. It does happen sometimes that someone says yes to Jesus the first time they meet him; but often it takes more time. And whether it happens in an instant or over time, whether you say yes immediately or have to be dragged into a relationship, is not that important. I don’t think it is the essential point of the stories, to tell you the truth.
I think the essence of these stories is that there are pivotal moments in our lives journeys, decision points in which we must say yes … or not.
Last week we also talked about people who say yes to God, with two other stories – the story of Samuel and the story of Nathanael. Call stories. The scriptures are full of these call stories, because this is the story of us and our relationship with God: God calls, we answer. God invites, we respond. God acts, we react. This is the story of our faith.
In some Christian traditions people are expected to have a personal conversion story. It is expected that, when asked, they can tell you the day and the circumstances in which they became a Christian, when they were “born again.” It is assumed that they could say, for example, when I was 16 years old, at my youth group meeting the week before Christmas, I gave my life to Christ.
Or perhaps, it happened one night in April when I was 30 years old. I was a broken man. I had lost my job, my marriage was over. I was standing at the gas station, pumping gas in my car, not knowing where I would go or what I would do and suddenly I heard Jesus talking to me. And my life changed at that moment.
It happens this way sometimes – but not all the time.
In reality, most people who have grown up in a church family do not have a born-again experience. This is something that our puritan forefathers and mothers actually fretted about. They knew what it was like to have an experience of conversion, because they had turned away from the church of England to form a new church. They left their homeland for the sake of their faith; they really knew the dramatic impact of such a conversion and the commitment it required of them.
They feared that their children could never understand this if they didn’t have a similar experience, so they tried to create the circumstances that would invite such an experience, hoping that their children would find out what it was like to repent, to turn their lives over to Christ, to be born again. Some did and some did not.
Eventually, the reconsidered their expectations. As powerful as may be to have such a conversion experience, a moment of decision in which you say yes to Christ, I have a few concerns about the whole thing.
First, I would say that the expectation that this is the only way to be able to call yourself a Christian is flawed, and harmful. I have been on the receiving end of this expectation, being told that if I could not say the moment I became a Christian then I am not a Christian, or as they might say, I am not saved.
This is very legalistic and narrow-minded thinking. It tries to impose a one-size-fits-all evangelism, but all you have to do is read the scriptures to know that God does not impose a one-size-fits-all expectation. Why should we, then? To say there is a clear set of steps one must go through to be “saved” is to try to control the power of God. Nice, if you can do it. But, crazy to think you can do it.
Another concern I have is related to this term that is so often used – to be saved. This idea of a conversion experience all too often seems to be about only one thing: personal salvation. In all these stories, like the 16-year-old who recites the Jesus prayer in youth group or the woman who walks off the street into a church one day and sees the light, they too often suggest that the point of all of this is to be saved – period.
But when we read the call stories in scripture, is that what they are all about? Does the boy Samuel, whose story we read last week, say yes to God so he can be saved? Do Simon and Andrew, James and John, say yes to Jesus so they can go to heaven? Is that really what it’s about?
The stories in scripture, where God calls someone to God’s side, always have a bigger picture in mind. God has plans for God’s people, plans which are bigger than their individual lives, certainly; plans which are bigger than anything they could do or imagine doing on their own. When God calls someone, it is not just to conversion, it is a call to discipleship. God calls us to follow, to become workers in the vineyard. God calls us to be a part of God’s great work of bringing God’s kingdom to the world.
The moment when we say yes is not an end in itself, it is just the beginning. Like the moment a man and woman say “I do,” is just the beginning of a journey, the moment we say yes to God we are embarking on a journey – a journey in which you will be asked to give your heart to this world and all who live in it, to the concerns that are God’s concerns: peace, justice, love.
When you say yes to God you are saying yes to all the things God says yes to. And no to the things God says no to.
It concerns me that we might not recognize that our yes to God is not merely for ourselves. Saying yes to God is never something you do merely for yourself.
There is one other thing about the idea of a conversion experience that concerns me: that is the notion, the suggestion, that it is something that happens once, like a big bang that changes everything for always. Such a belief denies the value of the way so many of us actually experience God’s call.
I have never had what some would call a born-again experience. But I have had many, many moments of saying yes to God. I have had a few big, momentous ones, and other smaller ones.
I know I have had these experiences of being called by God, because they have scared me. I know these moments have been moments of God in my life because they have called on me to get outside of my comfort zone, to get beyond my own selfish desires. They have called me to serve, to risk, to love unconditionally.
I know these times God has invited me to be born again in Christ, to step outside of myself and serve for Christ’s sake, because even if they don’t meet someone else’s definition of being born again, they have given me glimpses of the joy that comes from living near to God, the deep peace that comes from trusting obedience to God. I know these moments of saying yes to God have been true faith experiences because they have made visible to me the power of the Holy Spirit in carrying me over to places I could not go on my own, giving me words I could not say, and actions I could not take without God’s help.
And each time I have said yes to God’s call I have known that it probably won’t be the last time I need to say yes. I will be called on to say yes again and again and again, because I am still a flawed, imperfect sinner. I will still make mistakes, I will still sometimes choose the broad road that leads to destruction rather than the narrow road that leads to life. To be a follower of Christ I will need to die anew every day and be born again, every day, in Christ; to say once again, “Yes, Lord. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.

May you hear God’s voice calling you to come and follow. May you say yes to God’s call. May you awaken every day to say yes once again, to serve the Lord with open heart and mind.

No comments: